Thursday, January 7, 2016

Game day!

Today started with me taking Ivan to school and then taking my brother to school and then dropping off a gift for somebody and then going to Brooks.  I went to talk with the volunteer coordinator but she was busy, they took my information and gave me some paperwork..  I (not so) patiently waited for her call! She told me everything I needed to do and sent me more paperwork to schedule observation hours and yet more paperwork to be a volunteer with them.  This all seems bigger than me - I know I want to help people.  I know I want to see the progress.  I know I have a gentle nature. It will be hard to get into the program through FSCJ.  It will be hard to complete the requirements.  I feel so unsure yet totally committed all at the same time.  I have said before I am not a fan of change.

After all that I stopped by mom and dads and we practiced colors and shapes and counting.  We threw bean bag shapes into a bucket so that if the color was hard at least he had the success of being able to throw it in the bucket. The look of concentration as he looked at each bean bag to name the shape or color was truly priceless. We also played a little fishing game, followed by Chutes and Ladders (no ladders or chutes, just counting).  After picking Ivan up he and my dad played fishing again, it is one of Ivan's favorites and also played Connect 4.  This warmed my heart because everything that has happened with my dad has been hard on all of us and it is a lot for me wrap my brain around and I am 30 years old.  Ivan has not wanted to be around my dad much which was sad, we never pushed it, he still would be in the same room but was very reserved.  They were such good buddies, he and my dad, and I know they will be again.  Today was good progress towards that goal. When we got ready to leave to go pick up Seth I told Ivan to give grandpa a high five but my dad went to give him a hug, and Ivan agreed!  He gave my dad a hug for the first time in 49 days...it was a sweet moment!


After picking Seth up I picked my brother up and we talked for a while.  Then there was a knock on my door and it was my youngest sister, yelling through the door, "Don't worry Buddy, I am not a killer!" And about 15 minutes later I got a call from my other sister asking if I was home and if she could come down.  We were all together, talking about life and it was kinda neat that me and my brother and sisters can come together like this, on a random Thursday evening, because we live so close and are so close! Vaughn and Vanessa were heading home to get dinner started and I couldn't resist a picture of the four of us! I am so proud of each of them.  We all have stepped up in different ways to be there for both my mom and my dad during this difficult time, while each living out our own life as well. Be it finishing the semester with A's or A's and B's or adjusting to married life or raising children...each of us have kept up what is expected in our own lives while also being there to support and encourage our parents.  We have our fair share of arguments and disagreements but at the end of the day, nobody better mess with our siblings.....we always have each others back....and when all is said and done we don't generally stay upset with each for any length of time.  I am grateful that my parents had four children, because I have the best friends in the world, in them!



 I love my family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Proud mom moment <3