Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sick babies are no fun....

It has been a long day, and the day isn't even over yet.

Seth woke up around 4 a.m crying, I nursed him and put him back to sleep. As I layed him down he put his hand on the side of my face and it was burning up. Felt like his hand was on fire. This jarred me out of my semi-asleep state and forced me to find the thermoscan. Just my luck the termoscan didn't want to work for me. It was saying his temp was only 92.4 and I knew that was impossible. So I searched to find the regular thermometer....by this time I was completly awake. The regular thermometer said he was 99.8...so now I had two varying degrees and I still felt like neither one was acurate.

I got him calmed down and back to sleep and noticed that his breathing was a bit labored. I've seen worse from him but this was all starting to look familiar. I gave him tylenol, and had no luck breaking the fever. I called the doctor at 9...took him in at 10:45...and the conclussion of it all - he has the onset of an upper respiratory infection...and since they weren't able to get a good strep test done (what toddler fancies having a giant q-tip crammed down their throat?) they have him on antibiotic to ward off any ear or throat infections which might follow suit....oh and a check up in a week!

So this makes the third time he has had upper respiratory issues....he has to have a breathing treatment four times a day for the next week and needs the antibiotics and lots of fluids....

Thank God I'm still nursing him. Everytime I think it is time to wean him he gets sick and if it wasn't for nursing him he would be dehydrated and in the hospital...especially with this breathing/uper respiratory stuff - it seems to hit him so hard. So I'm beginning to wonder if this is just God telling me to hold off on the weaning....

I am just grateful that he is resting now! It has been a long morning.

1 comment:

dmauton said...

Wow, I'm praying for him and for rest for you also. ((hugs))