Saturday, November 7, 2015

Leo's Love

I am giving you fair warning, these thoughts might seem kind of like they are out in left field.  I don't even know that my thoughts are fully developed or if my words will be adequate to describe how Leo, once again, touched some depth of my soul.  I usually go see Leo on Monday but last Monday I had plans and I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it out to see him at all, but Wednesday worked out and I really enjoyed our time together.  It was like a mid week 'pick me up'!  I love how this horse loves me.  I love that he likes when I am around.  The peace and calm is amazing and gives me hope.  But on this particular day it was like I was seeing an analogy for God's love for us in the way this horse was loving me.  While I was sitting there brushing Leo sometimes he would like turn and put his face just about in my face, like he was trying really hard to get my attention.  Other times it wasn't as subtle, it was a nudge on the arm. So long as I was with him, he never stayed away from me for long.  He was always watching me, if I moved somewhere else he would follow me, as if to just check on me, make sure I was ok and still there, and remind me that he was watching me. And then it was time for me to leave, I told him good bye and that I would see him next time, he let out a horse cry but I figured letting him free to graze in the field would be the end of his thoughts of me.  I hung out and was petting him while he was eating and then I left.  As I walked towards the gate to leave he looked up from where he was and came running towards me.  I didn't think he would even notice that I had left. I got in the car and he sat at the gate crying.  I backed the car up and drove down the driveway and he followed me along the fence line.  I turned onto the road to head home and he followed me as far as he could until I was out of his reach.  He would occasionally let out a horse cry as he saw me get further and further away. 

And then it hit me....we can be doing one thing, and then something will happen to show us or remind us of Gods love and it will feel like it is right in out face.  Other times it might not be as subtle but is still there.  As long as we are with God, he doesn't leave us for long.  God is always watching us, he sees where we go, even before we go there.  He is with us every step of the way.  And should you ever stray from him, he won't give up.  He will follow us.  I suppose if we walk away from God it makes him sad.  He notices what we are doing and where we are going.  He sees us, he hears us, even when we think he is occupied with somebody or something else. Leo gave me a different perspective of God's love for us, and how he must feel to see us walk away from that love.

No comments: