Monday, November 30, 2015

Working hard...

Every day that I go to visit my dad, I just am in awe of the progress he is making and how hard he is working.  I see moments of total frustration when he tries to do what he thinks he should be able to but is not quite there.  I see him shake his head no and put his lips together and kind of frown when he is asked to do anything with his right side.  He knows it isn't working, but we aren't giving up on it.  I see that look in his eyes of accomplishment when he speaks or does his therapy exercises and everybody is so proud of him.  He knows we are proud and you can see his eyes light up.  He loves making us happy.  His days are filled with doctors and nurses, respiratory, occupational, physical and speech therapists.  I was there today during occupational and speech therapy.  They were pleasantly surprised when they heard him sing!  I love that these therapist get just as happy about his progress as we do.  Today the occupational therapist actually gave him an exercise that Seth and Ivan could help with.  These boys have been with us every step of the way so far.  We are always there for family, no matter what.  I want them to learn just how important it is to be there for your family.  When we left today Seth said he thought it was great that he could help grandpa with his exercises to get better!  That made my heart happy.  In the picture below Seth is throwing a makeshift balloon and my dad moves his hands like he is hitting it back to him!  
 Speech therapy was great - hearing him practice vowel sounds, say "more" for ice chips and sing happy birthday was amazing!  Some things he didn't recognize or would try to talk but we couldn't make out what he was saying.  When they gave him a toothbrush he wasn't sure what to do with it.  When they gave him a mirror he looked at the scar on his head.  When they gave him a ball, he wouldn't give it back!  Brushing your teeth can be relearned.  I am just grateful that he remembers all of us. I love how my mom has stood beside him every step of the way, celebrating with him, encouraging him, and loving him unconditionally.  I have the best parents in the world.  I love my dad so much.  I love my mom so much.  They are both fighters!

p.s.  I did get a video of dad singing Happy Birthday today that I am in the process of uploading...stay tuned because you won't want to miss it!

1 comment:

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Great update and report. How fun the boys can play with their grandpa and help him recover at the same time!