Friday, October 9, 2015

Fry-day


It's Friday at 9:07 p.m and as I sit here, my mind drifts back over the week.  This week has been filled with some difficult moments.  I have been thinking about the challenges that we all face and among those challenges is the ongoing battle with mental illness. I think sometimes we are called to fight battles that are much bigger than we are, because we are never intended to fight alone.  Our number has been called, name has been chosen for a war that rages, and mostly in our mind.  We want no part of this war but refusing to fight back is not an option  It's not just my mind.  Other minds are affected too.  Beneath a calm exterior I am fighting demons that leave me feeling so weak and tired but I move forward to continue to reach out to others.  I have learned that somehow in helping others, in pulling them down to prevent another shot from anxiety, in helping them out of the trenches of the battles they are facing - I have found comfort and joy. Walking side by side with them and fighting these battles together, makes all of us a little stronger. You don't even have to be personally enduring the illness, to appreciate the beauty found in walking beside somebody who does struggle.  I tell you we have something special to offer to others, sometimes we are just afraid to let you in.  I have come to learn that there is strength in numbers, and just as soldiers gain encouragement from one another, so the fellow warriors I have met on this battlefield have offered hope and encouragement through some trying times.  For so long as I am alive, I will continue to fight....


No comments: