Sunday, October 25, 2015

Ice Cream for lunch?!?!

Today has been one of those days.  You know the days where you try to do one little thing, and you end up having to do a whole list of other little things just to get that little thing done you wanted to do!  A couple years ago when we transitioned Ivan out of the crib, we went right into a twin bed.  We bought the boys bunk beds that could be used separately as twin beds and for the last how many ever years, that is how they have been used.  This morning, Dennis said, 'I know what we can do today, lets put the boys bunk beds together.'  I walked into their room and turned the light on and looked at the piles of toys, crammed everywhere....papers, dust, books, Lego's, Lego's, Lego's.....I turned the light off walked out to the living room and said, 'how about I clean out from under their beds and organize all the toys this week and next weekend we can put the bunk beds together.'  So that was the plan.  After having spent yesterday at Connors, I was kind of hoping today would be a quiet day to lounge around the house.  Dennis said we could put the beds together next weekend but he wanted to put the ladder and guardrails together today...he got started on that and I got started on laundry.  When he was finished, I said well we might as well just go ahead and put the beds together.....if you give a mouse a cookie....so we pulled the beds out and oh my were there a lot of toys stuffed under their beds....
we thought it made more sense to put the guardrails on the upper bed while it was still on the ground, so when we started putting those on the bed we realized that we put the guardrail with the ladder opening on the wrong side, had to take that off, went to put it on the other side but the holes didn't match on the base of the bed...took it off and discovered that the main slats of the bed had to be taken apart and flipped...so yes we had to take the entire bed apart and put it back together....got that done and then I thought it would be easy enough to just lift one bed and put it on top of the other but I never realized how heavy those beds were....but I am stubborn, and even though I am feeling it now I went ahead and lifted the bed with Dennis.  We got it all together and I suddenly felt like I was swimming in dust and clutter and there was no where for me to even walk....so.much.stuff.  I walked out of the room to catch my breath and the next thing I know Dennis says, 'umm we got it on backwards, we need to take it off and flip it around for the sake of the ladder being on the right side'....I thought at first that he was joking but he wasn't....with the bunk bed put together what does he say, 'ok that's done now lets go out for ice cream, we will have ice cream and tayiaki for lunch'.....all I could think was the floor and the toys and the dust and how about you take them out for ice cream and I will clean this mess....

We took a break and had some ice cream.  The fish is a waffle with chocolate on the inside....lets just add on as much sugar and carbs as we can for this amazing lunch!

We returned home and amazingly got the entire room dumped out, dusted, baseboards washed, toys reorganized and gone through all in about 3 hours.  It is amazing how fast it got done with all four of us working on it as opposed to just me doing it. Even if it felt like everything that could go wrong, did go wrong -  it was nice to see it all complete. Another days work is almost done.  I can't help but think that is how life is, so many hurdles but we have to keep running....

No comments: